A completely redesigned hedgehog nest that incorporates all the best features of previous nests, is far safer for the hedgehog, and eliminates loose entrance tunnels and plastic pipes by building all these features into one robust design.
This nestbox has been designed and ultimately tested extensively with great success over a period of 12 months by the Hedgehog Preservation Society and their hedgehog "carers", whose help is much appreciated. The final nest design has also been approved by Dr. Pat Morris of London University who has contributed to it's development.
You can read all about hedgehogs in the UK and efforts to boost their populations on the NHBS Blog.
* Fully built-in tunnel with 5" square access for even the largest hedgehog to avoid unwanted visitors.
* Raised 'step' at entrance to enable the box to be partly buried.
* Totally safe nesting area well away from the tunnel entrance.
* Lower roof to enable the hedgehog to build a snug nest.
* Specially designed inbuilt "unblockable" ventilation to provide just the right temperature and humidity without draughts.
* Totally removable roof for easy inspection and cleaning.
* Drainage holes in the base of the Hedgehog Nestbox to help any excess water which may enter the box during times of heavy rain to dissipate.
* Underfloor runners letting air to the underside of the box but allowing the box to be pushed easily into place in undergrowth, etc.
* Reinforced and strengthened corners making a sturdy nestbox.
* One compact unit easy to position.
"I have purchased one of these, and it was occupied on the same evening as installation! The boxes are very well assembled with the cover and partition ‘routed in’ rather than just nailed together. All in all, a very good acquisition and our prickly friends (on the increase) enjoy it immensely!"
Ian Gibb, UK
Exterior quality 12mm resin bonded ply. The box remains untreated on the inside. Best situated in a quiet corner of the garden, and covered with leaves and other garden debris. Removable lid for cleaning purposes and reinforced corners, manufactured with surface sunk nails to resist rusting.
Nestbox size: Height 22cm x Width 38cms x Length 47cm
Hedgehog preferred: Thoughtfully designed boxes make safe and secure homes.
Chosen by professionals: With all the right features, the boxes of choice for professionals!
Selected by you: Modern designs, traditionally made in wood - look good, and work well.
Designed by experts: Designed with the help of the Hedgehog Preservation Trust and specialists from other Hedgehog groups.
Built to last: Hand crafted to cope with the best and worst of the weather, year in year out.
Environmentally positive: Direct action to help hedgehog survival rates, encouraging biodiversity; FSC timber; Zero carbon footprint in use.
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!