By: Fernando Pacheco-Torgal(Editor), Said Jalali(Editor), Aleksandra Fucic(Editor)
512 pages, illustrations
From long-standing worries regarding the use of lead and asbestos to recent research into carcinogenic issues related to the use of plastics in construction, there is growing concern regarding the potential toxic effects of building materials on health. Toxicity of Building Materials provides an essential guide to this important problem and its solution.
- The main health hazards from building materials
- Plastic materials: Polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
- Plastic materials: Chlorinated polyethylene (CPE), chlorinated polyvinylchloride (CPVC), chlorosulfonated polyethylene (CSPE), polychloroprene rubber (CR)
- Materials responsible for formaldehyde and volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions
- Semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs): phthalates, PFCs, flame retardants
- Wood preservatives
- Mineral fibre-based building materials and their health hazards
- Radioactive materials
- Materials that release toxic fumes during fire
- Heavy metals: Lead
- Other heavy metals: Mercury, cadmium, chromium and antimony
- Materials prone to mould growth
- Antimicrobial treatment and efficacy
- Potential hazards from waste based/recycled building materials
- Toxicity of nanoparticles
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Fernando Pacheco-Torgal is an investigator in the C-TAC Research Unit at the University of Minho, Portugal, and is the author or co-author of almost 200 publications. Said Jalali is former Professor of Civil Engineering at the University of Minho, and is an acknowledged expert on building materials. Aleksandra Fucic is a genotoxicologist at the Institute for Medical Research and Occupational Health, Croatia, with 25 years experience of biomonitoring.
Your orders support book donation projects
Shopping at NHBS is always good. The range of books is wide, the service is excellent, the orders arrive swiftly.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985