By: Christoph Richter(Author)
222 pages, 201 colour & 164 b/w illustrations, 30 tables
Originally published in German by DRW-Verlag (2010), Wood Characteristics offers a broad range of options for technically adapting, handling and processing wood with specific wood characteristics. It starts by discussing wood anatomy and the general factors leading to the formation of wood characteristics. The individual characteristics are then categorized into four groups:
1. Wood characteristics inherent in a tree's natural growth
2. Biotically-induced wood characteristics
3. Abiotically-induced wood characteristics
4. Types and causes of cracks.
New to this English edition is a comparison of wood characteristics found in trees from the boreal, temperate and tropical climate zones. The results show a clear relationship between the effects of sunshine duration, the vertical and horizontal angle of radiation, and crown coverage and the way wood characteristics form. Wood Characteristics addresses all those who work with wood professionally: foresters, gardeners and arborists who want to be able to observe a living tree and identify its internal features and the causes of its prominent wood characteristics. Based on the findings described in Wood Characteristics they can determine how to avoid certain undesirable characteristics, or alternatively how to promote favorable ones as the tree and stand grow.
Botanists and dendrologists will learn how wood characteristics arise, and how they affect living trees and wood products. The needs of wood technologists seeking to prevent adverse wood characteristics from influencing wood processing, or to enhance favorable wood characteristics, are also addressed.
Part I: Wood, a Truly Remarkable Material
- The Anatomical Structure of Wood
- Wood Characteristic or Defect?
- General Factors Leading to the Formation of Wood Characteristics of the Tree
Part II: Wood Characteristics Overview
- Overview of the Main Wood Characteristics
Part III: Description of the Wood Characteristics
- Wood Characteristics Inherent in a Tree's Natural Growth
- Biotically Induced Wood Characteristics
- Abiotically Induced Wood Characteristics
- Overview of Cracks / Shake Forms and Causes
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS has enriched my life with knowledge for many years now
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985