+44 1803 865913
By: Husein Ali Zorkot(Author)
607 pages, plates with colour illustrations, colour distribution maps
Language: English, with Englsh, Arabic and scientific nomenclature
A vivid world of butterflies awaits in this comprehensive field guide. For the first time, the butterflies of Lebanon as well as those from Morocco to Mesopotamia and the Arabian Peninsula are found together in one volume. In addition to the butterflies found all across Lebanon, from the coastal region and the Bekaa to the alpine zone, one will also encounter the butterflies of the Sahara and Arabian deserts side by side with those of the Atlas mountains and Nile valley, all in one book. This compact guide, designed for entomologists and laypeople alike, intends to elucidate the amazing diversity of butterflies in the Arab World, many of these species still relatively little known and in need of conservation.
- About 495 species of butterflies found across 21 Arab countries in the Middle East are adequately described, including 165 species in Lebanon, 157 endemic species, and about 40 threatened species
- Many of the familiar butterflies of the Afrotropics, including 100 species illustrated in colour
- Range maps and detailed species descriptions, including geographic distribution, identifying morphological characteristics and colouration patterns, flight period, habitat, host plants, life history and behaviour, economic importance, conservation status, and lore
- Common, scientific, and Arabic names
- High quality colour plates of nearly 600 species, including the caterpillars of Lebanese butterflies
- Thorough introduction on the butterflies of the Middle East, their distribution and zoogeography, encompassing 28 ecoregions
- Butterflies of Hima Ibil Saqi and Hima Qaraoun, two environmental sanctuaries in Lebanon
- Glossary of entomological terms
- Field checklist of Lebanese butterflies
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
I have always been MOST impressed by the efficiency, courtesy, integrity and professionalism of NHBS!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985