A Field Guide to the Spider Genera of India is an illustrative guide for 350 spider genera reported from India.
- More than 1,100 color photographs and drawings depicting the vast diversity of Indian spiders
- drawings of several genera
- Descriptions of 350 genera belonging to 63 families
- A brief introduction about the morphology of spiders
- An overview of the phylogenetic relationships of the major lineages
- Spider families organized by clades
- Brief notes about natural history
Originally, the intention was to create a field guide for the roughly 2000 spider species found in India, but while this would be an exciting book to have, the authors gradually realized that the scientific descriptions of many spiders from India need revisionary treatments. Therefore, they decided to restrict themselves to taking a small step. As the title suggests, this book focuses on the spider genera which can be identified using photographs and descriptions. For a few spiders, interesting natural history observations known for their respective relatives from the Neotropics, Africa, Australia, etc are provided.