+44 1803 865913
By: George E Heimpel(Author), Nicholas J Mills(Author), Jacques Brodeur(Foreword By)
530 pages, 117 b/w illustrations, 17 tables
Biological control is the suppression of populations of pests and weeds by living organisms. These organisms can provide important protection from invasive species and protect our environment by reducing the need for pesticides. However, they also pose possible environmental risks, so biological control interventions must be undertaken with great care. Biological Control: Ecology and Applications enhances our understanding of biological control interactions by combining theory and practical application. Using a combination of historical analyses, theoretical models and case studies, with explicit links to invasion biology, the authors cover biological control of insects, weeds, plant pathogens and vertebrate animals. Biological Control: Ecology and Applications reflects increasing recognition of risks over the past 20 years, and incorporates the latest technological advances and theoretical developments. It is ideal for researchers and students of biological control and invasion biology.
"[...] The authors are clearly convinced of the value of biological control, while recognizing the risks, and present a very balanced and useful volume."
– Alan Crowden, BES Bulletin, Volume 48(4), December 2017
Foreword Jacques Brodeur
1. Definitions and interactions
2. Biological control and invasion biology
3. Importation biological control – the scope of success
4. Negative consequences of biological control
5. Ecological risk analysis in biological control
6. Population dynamics in biological control
7. Biological control and evolution
8. Augmentation: orchestrating local invasions
9. Conservation biological control I: orchestrating natural control through habitat manipulation
10. Conservation biological control II: orchestrating natural control through pesticide reduction or selection
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
On behalf of Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi I would like to thank NHBS. The book will be very useful for my students.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985