Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
Please note that the hardback is out of print. The publisher is reissuing the book as a mini gift edition, measuring 165 × 170 mm (vs. 300 × 300 mm for the original hardback).
Markus Varesvuo's first title Birds: Magic Moments, published in 2011, took the world of bird books by storm selling tens of thousands of copies and coeditions in half a dozen countries all around Europe. The author's status as one of the world's best bird photographers was already established and the collection of images was breathtaking. Since then Markus's career has gone from strength to strength. Here, for Birds in Pictures, he has gathered a new and even better collection of stunning bird images from around the world with highlights including Snowy Owls, Puffins, Dippers, and Capercaillies. The format of Birds in Pictures is slightly larger to show off the photography in all its glory. The text is brief with short descriptions of the subjects and photography tips.
Part 1: Mechanisms of animal behaviour
- Understanding animal behaviour
- Reflex behaviours
- Linking responses and the coordination of more complex behaviours
- Receiving stimuli and analysing the incoming information
- Motivation and its capacity to modify simple response patterns
- Learning and its effects in modifying behaviour
- 'Unpredictable' behaviours: redirected behaviour and displacement activities
- Behaviour genetics and the evolution of behaviour
Part 2: The adaptation of behaviour
- Adaptiveness of behaviour; optimising the returns
- Living in groups and the advantages of sociality
- Reproductive behaviour and reproductive strategies
- Courtship displays and mate choice
- Cooperative breeding and arguments about altruism
- Territoriality and aggression
- Animal navigation
- 'If we could talk to the animals…’
Markus Varesvuo is a Finnish wildlife photographer who specialises in images of birds. He turned his lifelong hobby of birdwatching and bird photography into a career as a professional wildlife photographer in 2005. Since then he has been awarded several wildlife and nature prizes such as the 2011 GDT European Wildlife Photographer Award in the category 'Birds'. Markus has published several books including Birds: Magic Moments which was his first international bestseller in 2011.
"When I browse through bird photographs in magazines, there are several photographers whose work consistently makes me somewhat envious – and one of these is Markus Varesvuo [...] Today's best bird photographers continue to raise the bar with their work, and if you want to see how high that bar is now placed, this book will show you."
– Keith Betton, British Birds, Volume 110, November 2017