+44 1803 865913
By: Boris Porfiriev(Editor)
96 pages, illustrations, tables
The current policy for climate change prioritises mitigation over adaptation. The collected papers of Climate Change as Environmental and Economic Hazard argue that although efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions are still vital, the new policy paradigm should shift the priority to adaptation, with a special focus on disaster risk reduction. It should also consider climate change not purely as a hazard and a challenge, but as a window of opportunity to shift to a new sustainable development policy model, which stresses the particular importance of communities' resilience.
The papers in this volume explore the key issues linked to this shift, including: ' Increasing research into the Earth Sciences, climate reconstruction and forecasting in order to decrease the degree of uncertainty about the origin, development and implications of climate change; ' The introduction of more binding and comprehensive regulation of both greenhouse gas emissions and adaptation measures, like that in the United Kingdom; ' Matching climate policy with that for disasters and mainstreaming it into overall development strategies. Climate Change as Environmental and Economic Hazard is a valuable addition to previous climate change research and considers a new policy approach to this new global challenge.
1. Managing Natural Disaster Risks in a Changing Climate
2. Strengthening Socio-ecological Resilience through Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation: Identifying Gaps in an Uncertain World
3. United States Hurricane Landfalls and Damages: Can One to Five Year Predictions Beat Climatology?
4. Building a Low-Carbon Economy: The Inaugural Report of the UK Committee on Climate Change
5. Responsibility Framing in a 'Climate Change Induced' Compounded Crisis: Facing Tragic Choices in the Murray-Darling Basin
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Boris Porfiriev is Director of the Risk and Crisis Research Centre at the Institute of Economics at the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS never fails to deliver
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985