Environmental and Natural Resource Economics is the best-selling text for this course, offering a policy-oriented approach and introducing economic theory in the context of debates and empirical work from the field. Students leave the course with a global perspective of both environmental and natural resource economics. Key features include:
- Extensive coverage of the major issues including climate change, pollution, sustainable development, and environmental justice.
- Dedicated chapters on a full range of resources including water, land, forests, fisheries, and recyclables.
- Introductions to the theory and method of environmental economics including externalities, benefit-cost analysis, valuation methods, and ecosystem goods and services.
- Boxed case studies and 'Debates' throughout the text which highlight global examples and major talking points.
The text is fully supported with end-of-chapter summaries, discussion questions, and self-test exercises in Environmental and Natural Resource Economics and multiple-choice questions, simulations, references, slides, and an instructor's manual on the Companion Website.
1. Visions of the Future
2. The Economic Approach: Property Rights, Externalities, and Environmental Problems
3. Evaluating Trade-Offs: Benefit-Cost Analysis and Other Decision-Making Metrics
4. Valuing the Environment: Methods
5. Dynamic Efficiency and Sustainable Development
6. Depletable Resource Allocation: The Role of Longer Time Horizons, Substitutes, and Extraction Cost
7. Energy: The Transition from Depletable to Renewable Resources
8. Recyclable Resources: Minerals, Paper, Bottles, and E-Waste
9. Water: A Confluence of Renewable and Depletable Resources
10. A Locationally Fixed, Multipurpose Resource: Land
11. Storable, Renewable Resources: Forests
12. Common-Pool Resources: Commercially Valuable Fisheries
13. Ecosystem Goods and Services: Nature's Threatened Bounty
14. Economics of Pollution Control: An Overview
15. Stationary-Source Local and Regional Air Pollution
16. Climate Change
17. Mobile-Source Air Pollution
18. Water Pollution
19. Toxic Substances and Environmental Justice
20. The Quest for Sustainable Development
21. Visions of the Future Revisited