+44 1803 865913
By: Lance Workman(Author), Will Reader(Author)
552 pages, 89 b/w illustrations, 26 tables
Written for undergraduate psychology students, and assuming little knowledge of evolutionary science, the third edition of this classic textbook provides an essential introduction to evolutionary psychology. Fully updated with the latest research and new learning features, it provides a thought-provoking overview of evolution and illuminates the evolutionary foundation of many of the broader topics taught in psychology departments. The text retains its balanced and critical evaluation of hypotheses and full coverage of the fundamental topics required for undergraduates. This new edition includes more material on the social and reproductive behaviour of non-human primates, morality, cognition, development and culture as well as new photos, illustrations, text boxes and thought questions to support student learning. Some 280 online multiple choice questions complete the student questioning package. This new material complements the classic features of this text, which include suggestions for further reading, chapter summaries, a glossary, and two-colour figures throughout.
From reviews of the first edition:
"[...] Lance Workman and Will Reader's textbook is a godsend."
- Times Higher Education Supplement
"...] a well written and wide-ranging account [...] the arguments are generally balanced and well set out [...]."
- TRENDS in Ecology and Evolution
"This is a comprehensive and eminently readable introduction to an intriguing new branch of science."
- Western Daily Press
1. Introduction to evolutionary psychology
2. Mechanisms of evolutionary change
3. Sexual selection
4. The evolution of human mate choice
5. Cognitive development and the innateness issue
6. Social development
7. The evolutionary psychology of social behaviour - kin relationships and conflict
8. The evolutionary psychology of social behaviour - reciprocity and group behaviour
9. Evolution, thought and cognition
10. The evolution of language
11. The evolution of emotion
12. Evolutionary psychopathology and Darwinian medicine
13. Evolution and individual differences
14. Evolutionary psychology and culture
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Lance Workman is Honorary Visiting Professor of Psychology at the University of Glamorgan. Will Reader is a Senior Lecturer in Psychology at Sheffield Hallam University.
Your orders support book donation projects
This really is first rate customer service.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985