Language: Bilingual in English and Arabic, with English, French, Arabic, and scientific nomenclature
Wild Flowers of Palestine was originally published about 1870 with text in three languages, English , French, and German. It contained ﬁfty-four plates printed in colour, after drawings and paintings by a Swiss missionary, Hanna Zeller, then resident in Nazareth, Palestine.
In this edition the English text is also translated into Arabic along with the popular names of the ﬂowers.
Hanna Zeller née Gobat was born in the winter of 1838-1839 in Beuggen, Switzerland, daughter of Bishop Samuel Gobat of Jerusalem who was the founder of the ﬁrst Christian school in Jerusalem in 1847. In 1859 Hanna married Revd john Zeller, a Swiss missionary known as the ‘Missionary of Nazareth’. Both her father and husband were great pioneers and promoters of education and teachers’ training. They were both instrumental in the development of educational institutions in the area.
At a time when women’s missionary work was a conspicuous feature in the development of the Mission in Palestine, Hanna Zeller one of the earliest women members of the Church Missionary Society of Palestine. It was during her time working there that she depicted the beauty of the ﬂora of the Holy Land through the ﬁne paintings reproduced in this volume.