+44 1803 865913
By: Richard Pulteney
386 pages, no illustrations
A reprint of a classical work in the Cambridge Library Collection.
Richard Pulteney (1730-1801) was a Leicestershire physician whose medical career suffered both from a lack of aristocratic patronage and from his dissenting religious background. However, his lifelong interest in botany and natural history, and particularly his work on the new Linnaean system of botanical classification, led to publications in the Gentleman's Magazine and the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1762. His book on Linnaeus (also reissued in this series), first published in 1782, was later considered to be of great significance for the acceptance in England of the Linnaean system, and this two-volume work, published in 1790, is still relevant to the study of the history of botany.
Volume 2 includes the development of botanical gardens, famous figures such as Dillenius and Sherard, and the study of botany in Scotland and Ireland.
27. Rise of botany in Scotland, Sibbald, Preston, Wallace, Alston
28. Plukenet. Uvedale
30. Origin of personal names given to plants, anecdotes of Plumier
31. Banister, Vernon and Kreig, Cunningham and Brown, Glen
33. Sloane continued
34. Royal Society, Chelsea Garden, Bishop Compton, Doody
35. Llhwyd, Lawson, Robinson
36. Dale, 37. Bradley, Blair
38. Consul, and Dr. James Sherard
40. Dillenius continued
41. Richardson, Brewer, Harrison and Cole
42. Rise of botany in Ireland, Threlkeld: Keogh: Smith's Histories
45. Houston and Douglas
46. Botanical gardeners, Miller
47. Blackwell, Deering
48. Blackstone, Collinson, Logan, and Mitchel
49. Ehret and Hill
51. Watson continued
52. Linnaeus in England
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
The efficiency of supply, favourable pricing, and the friendly personal service we receive, makes dealing with NHBS a real pleasure
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985