Aimed at those familiar with insects but who need to learn about molecular genetics, and those that are familiar with molecular genetics but not with insects.
I. Genes and Genome Organization in Eukaryotes
1. DNA, Gene Structure and SNA Replication
2. Transcription, Translation, and Regulation of Eukaryotic DNA
3. Nuclear and Extranuclear DNA in Insects
4. Genetic Systems, Genome Evolution, and Genetic Control of Development in Insects
II. Molecular Genetic Techniques
5. Some Basic Tools: How to Cut, Paste, Copy, Measure, and Visualize DNA
6. Cloning and Expression Vectors, Libraries, and Their Screening
7. DNA Sequencing and the Evolution of the '-onics'
8. DNA Amplification by the Polymerase Chain Reaction: Molecular Biology Made Accessible
9. Transposable-Element Vecotrs to Transform Drosophila and Other Insects
III. Applications in Entomology
10. Sec Determination in Insects; Molecular Genetics of Insect Behavior
11. Molecular Systematics and Evolution of Arthropods
12. Insect Population Ecology and Genetics
13. Transgenic Pest and Beneficial Arthropods for Pest Management Programs
"I enthusiastically recommend this book to any student or established researcher in need of an introduction to the molecular genetics of arthropods."
- Experimental and Applied Acarology (2003)