This kit uses quality components to make a detector which is very good value for money. It functions well and is ideal for beginners.
This interesting and absorbing kit helps to detect study and identify bats. It is a "heterodyne" circuit which mixes a tuneable oscillator with ultrasound emitted by bats, to produce an audible output. Thus the ultrasound is processed to generate audio signals which the human ear can detect. 20 to 110kHz tuning range. Front facing loudspeaker output.
The powerful audio output (1 watt) makes it ideal for group use and an earphone socket is provided as well. Entertaining and fascinating, the kit includes full assembly instructions. The kit now comes with a new pcb - printed with component layout, new led mounting arrangement, and direct pcb mounting potentiometers.
This is not a simple kit and to build it successfully you should have soldering and electronics skills and be able to understand circuit diagrams
Please note: This product is manufactured in small quantities so, when not in stock, delivery times can be unpredictable.
Assembly was quite easy, (I'm not an expert) when following accurately the guide provided within the package. I got the package here to Lapland, Finland in just a few days after the online purchase. I'm very happy with the customer service too. It was my first purchase from NHBS and I surely will come back for more.
And in Finnish: Asennus oli kohtuullisen helppo, vaikka en ole asiantuntija, kun seuraa tarkkaan ohjeita. Paketti tuli nopeasti Lappiin asti ja asiakaspalvelu toimi hyvin. Voin suositella muillekkin tätä detektoria harrastuksen aloitukseen ja todennäköisesti tulen hankkimaan myös muita tuotteita tätä kautta.
Works fine, easy enough to assemble.
In addition to soldering equipment you'll need glue for mounting the speaker (hot glue was fine), something to cut a mounting post off the box and make it flush (v. fiddly, I ended up melting off the stub with an old soldering iron and choking on the fumes). Crosshead screwdriver.
The mounting post extensions were supposed to be gripped by the screws, but they were too wide. This makes mounting the board really hard - if you do it component side up the extensions fall off, if you do it the other way, the screws fall out. Fixing the extensions in place with some hot glue works, if you have some (which I would suggest).
The specification calls for one 220uF/16V and one 100uF/10V electrolytic capacitor, but the kit contained a 220uF/10V and a 100uF/16V. Think this is a picking error. I made sure the capacitances were in the right place and it works fine, not sure it well be as robust as intended.