+44 1803 865913
By: Charles Darwin(Author), Robert Fitzroy(Author), Phillip Parker King(Author)
694 pages, 24 b/w illustrations, 3 b/w maps
A reprint of a classical work in the Cambridge Library Collection.
In the years leading up to Charles Darwin's famous voyage on the Beagle, the ship and its captain Robert Fitzroy (1805-65) had participated in an expedition to the desolate southern coast of South America. This three-volume work, published in 1839, describes both voyages.
Volume 2 is Fitzroy's account of his voyage with Darwin. He describes how the Hydrographer of the Admiralty, Captain Beaufort (founder of The Nautical Magazine, also reissued), approved the proposal that 'some well educated and scientific person' should join the expedition: Darwin was chosen. Fitzroy's descriptions of the locations visited and their natural history provide a fascinating counterpoint to Darwin's own account of the voyage, the first published version of which makes up Volume 3. Fitzroy refers regularly to the geographical and scientific books that he and Darwin kept in the ship's library. The majority of these are also reissued in the Cambridge Library Collection.
1. Fuegians in London, Beagle recommissioned
2. Mr. Darwin, persons on board
3. Sail from England, cross equator
4. Rio de Janeiro, Monte Video
5. Fossils, animals, fish, climate
6. Beagle visits Buenos Ayres, sail for Tierra del Fuego
7. Southern Aborigines of South America
8. Horse Indians of Patagonia
10. Set out to land Matthews and the Fuegians, sail for the Falkland Islands
11. Historical sketch of the Falkland Islands
12. First appearance of Falklands
13. Sail from Falklands
14. River Negro
15. Beagle and Adventure sail from Monte Video
16. Lay Beagle ashore for repair, view of surrounding country
17. Enter Pacific, Chile
19. Shells, coal, scenery, night travelling
20. Challenger wrecked on the mainland, crew saved
21. Andes, Galapagos, land-tortoises, volcanoes
22. Otaheite, Papiete, missionaries
23. Continuation of the meeting at Papiete, sail from Otaheite, Feejee Islands
24. New Zealand
25. Missionaries, trade, settlers
26. Sydney, Hobart Town, Mauritius, Azores
27. Remarks on the early migrations of the human race
28. A very few remarks with reference to the Deluge
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS is my favorite supplier (very professional and fast). Bravo!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985