+44 1803 865913
Edited By: Andreas Schiller and Gary B Brassington
460 pages, 130 col & b/w illus
Over the past decade the significant advances in real-time ocean observing systems, ocean modelling, ocean data assimilation and super-computing has seen the development and implementation of operational ocean forecasts of the global ocean. At the conclusion of the Global Ocean Data Assimilation Experiment (GODAE) in 2008 ocean forecasting services were being supported by 12 international centres.
This book is about ocean forecasting - a maturing field which remains an active area of research, and includes the discussion on such topics as ocean predictability, observing system design, high resolution ocean modelling and ocean data assimilation. It presents the introduction to ocean forecasts which allow new opportunities in areas of coupled bio-geochemical forecasting and coupled atmosphere-wave-ocean forecasting.
1. Ocean forecasting in the 21st century -- from the early days to tomorrow's challenges.-
2. Satellites and operational oceanography.-
3. In-situ ocean observing systems.-
4. Ocean data quality control.-
5. Observing system design and assessment.-
6. Air-sea fluxes of heat, freshwater and momentum.-
7. Coastal tide gauge observations: dynamic processes present in the Fremantle record.-
8. Surface waves.-
9. Tides and internal waves on the continental shelf.-
10. Eddying vs. laminar ocean circulation models and their applications.-
11. Isopycnic and hybrid ocean modeling in the context of GODAE.- 12. Marine biogeochemical modelling and data assimilation.-
13. Introduction to ocean data assimilation.-
14. Adjoint data assimilation methods.-
15 Ensemble-based data assimilation methods.-
16. Overview of global operational oceanography systems.-
17. Overview of regional and coastal systems.-
18. System design for operational ocean forecasting.-
19. Integrating coastal models and observations for studies of ocean dynamics, observing systems and forecasting.-
20. Seasonal and decadal prediction.-
21. Dynamical evaluation of ocean models using the Gulf Stream as an example.-
22. Ocean forecasting systems -- product evaluation and skill.- 23. Performance of ocean forecasting systems -- intercomparison projects.-
24. Defence applications of operational oceanography.-
25. Applications for metocean forecast data - maritime transport, safety and pollution.-
26. Resources, technologies, research and policies.-
27. Application of ocean observations and analysis: the CETO wave energy project.-
28. International marine environmental law (Oil Pollution).- Index.
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS is a national institution, not to say an international one, in the world of natural history!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985