More than 1000 mammal species occur in Africa south of the Sahara Desert. These creatures vary in size from the massive elephant to the tiniest bats, shrews and mice. A Photographic Guide to Mammals of Southern, Central and East Africa was compiled with a view to easing identification of many of the larger and more conspicuous mammals in the region, as well as some of the smaller and more unusual ones.
This compact, easy-to-use guide features:
- 152 of the region's mammal species
- key identification features showing how to differentiate between similar species
- distribution maps and a list of major parks and reserves indicating where species are likely to be seen
- quick reference key on inside cover
- thumbnail silhouettes of each family group for quick identification
This new revised edition is an ideal pocket-sized travelling companion for nature lovers and visitors to nature reserves and wildlife areas.
Chris & Mathilde Stuart have published a range of authoritative, best-selling field guides and other titles on African mammals, wildlife and conservation, as well as numerous scientific papers and popular articles. Mathilde holds a doctorate in medicine from the University of Innsbruck; Chris holds an MSc from the University of KwaZulu-Natal.