+44 1803 865913
Series: Palaeontological Association Field Guide to Fossils Volume: 11
Edited By: ENK Clarkson, DAT Harper, CM Taylor and LI Anderson
220 pages, b/w photos, b/w illustrations
In the Pentland Hills, south-west of Edinburgh, diverse and abundant marine fossils of Silurian age are found. They are splendidly preserved as undistorted moulds, and occur in distinct palaeocommunities, succeeding each other through time and directly linked with changing environments. Many faunal elements have not been described until now, and this guide attempts to present a modern overview. Following two introductory chapters with maps, diagrams and environmental reconstructions, there are 15 chapters on different fossil groups, written by specialists, and illustrated with 37 plates. Most of the species encountered in the Pentland Hills are described and illustrated here.
This guide should be of interest to professional and amateur geologists and palaeontologists.
1. Introduction and Acknowledgements (ENK Clarkson, DAT Harper, CM Taylor and LI Anderson).
2. Silurian Rocks and Fossils in the Pentland Hills (ENK Clarkson and CM Taylor).
3. Life in the Pentlands Sea (ENK Clarkson and DAT Harper).
4. Algae, Receptaculitids and Sponges (JP Botting).
5. Corals (ENK Clarkson and CM Taylor).
6. Bryozoans (SJ Stephen and ENK Clarkson).
7. Brachipods (EE Gallagher and DAT Harper).
8. Bivalves (E Geldart, ENK Clarkson and SE Stewart).
9. Cephalopods (CH Holland).
10. Gastropods (JOR Ebbestad).
11. Trilobites (ENK Clarkson and CM Taylor).
12. Unmineralised Arthropods (LI Anderson).
13. Ostracods (DJ Siveter).
14. Graptolites (DK Loydell).
15. Crinoids (SK Donovan, FE Fearnhead and DN Lewis).
16. Echinoids (CH Jeffery-Abt).
17. Stelleroids (DJ Gladwell).
18. Miscellanea (SE Stewart, LI Anderson and ENK Clarkson).
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS has enriched my life with knowledge for many years now
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985