Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
Providing coverage of the basic principles of soil mechanics for undergraduate students of civil engineering, this new edition has features such as Euro code and key concepts boxes, and case studies illustrating the principles in real world situations. Necessary changes have been made to conform with changing British Standards.
- Soil Formation and Nature
- Soil Description and Classification
- Permeability and Seepage
- Effective Stress and Pore Pressure
- Contact Pressure and Stress Distribution
- Compressibility and Consolidation
- Shear Strength
- Shallow Foundations: Stability
- Shallow Foundations: Settlements
- Pile Foundations
- Lateral Earth Pressures and Retaining Structures
- Slope Stability
- Earthworks and Soil Compaction
- Site Investigation
Graham Barnes is a former senior lecturer in civil engineering at the Bolton Institute. He currently works for W.S. Atkins, a major international multi-disciplinary consultancy.
"This is an excellent textbook. One of the best textbooks on soil mechanics. Clear and concise explanations of theory. Good drawings and diagrams to illustrate theory. Excellent worked examples and exercises for the student to practise."
– J.W. Glenn, Belfast Institute of Further and Higher Education, UK