+44 1803 865913
By: Harold Jeffreys
This is a digital reprint of the revised 1976 edition of this classic work.
It examines seismology, gravity, the strength of the shell, the variation of latitude and the figure of the Moon. The chapter on tidal friction is largely rewritten and what now seem to be the three most reliable estimates of the true secular acceleration of the Moon agree in suggesting that the provisional estimate in the last edition should be considerably increased. The criticism of theories of continental drift, convection and plate tectonics is much expanded. A new appendix pinpoints directions for future geophysical research. The Earth continues to provide a fundamental and comprehensive account of geophysical problems, essential to all scientists concerned with problems of the origin, history and physical constitution of the Earth.
1. The Mechanical Properties of Rocks;
2. The Theory of Elastic Waves;
3. Observational Seismology;
4. The Theory of the Figures of the Earth and Moon;
5. The Figures of the Earth and Moon. Discussion of Observations; 6. Stress-Differences in the Earth;
7. Nutations, the Bodily Tide, and Free Vibrations;
8. Imperfections of Elasticity : Tidal Friction;
9. The Age of the Earth;
10. The Thermal History of the Earth;
11. The Origin of the Earth's Surface Features;
12. Special Problems.
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
The efficiency of supply, favourable pricing, and the friendly personal service we receive, makes dealing with NHBS a real pleasure
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985