+44 1803 865913
Edited By: G Halseth, S Markey and D Bruce
304 pages, 60 figures/illustrations
This book discusses the future of rural development and the recognition of the growing importance of 'place-based economies' where the unique attributes and assets of individual places determine their attractiveness for particular types of activities and investments.
New understandings of competitiveness and conceptualizations of a new economy underline the importance of making strategic investments in community infrastructure. Doing things, at the local and regional scales, matters and not doing things has consequences. Topics include seasonal economies, amenity migration, IT industries, green energy and transportation developments.
Part 1 - Demographics, Migration & Immigration
1. Local Economic and Social Development in the Multifunctional Landscapes of Rural Australia.
2. Change in the U.S. Great Plains States
3. A New Rural North Carolina: Latino Place-making and Community Engagement
4. Connecting Rural and Urban Places: Enduring Migration between Small Areas in England and Wales
5. Ontario's Greenbelt and Places to Grow Legislation and the Future for the Countryside and Rural Economy
Part 2 - Emerging Economies
6. Adding Value Locally through Integrated Tourism
7. Value-added and Entertainment Agricultural Products in Michigan's Fruit Belt
8. Rural Restructuring and the New Rural Economy: Examples from Germany and Canada
9. Nurturing the Animation Sector in a Peripheral Economic Region: The Case of Miramichi, New Brunswick.
Part 3 - Rural Policy and Governance
10. Co-constructing Rural Communities in the 21st Century: Challenges for Central Governments
11. Contemporary Approaches to Rural Development: Lauding the Local
12. Political Economies of Place and in the Emergent Global Countryside: Stories from Rural Wales
13. Rural Development: The Next Territorial Development Paradigm
Part 4 - Rural-Urban Peripheries
14. The Reviving of Small Rural Towns on the Paris Periurban Fringes
15. When Urban-Rural Fringes Arise as Differentiated Place: The Socio-Economic Restructuring of Volvic Sources and Volcans (France)
16. Rural Development Strategies in Japan
Part 5 - Renewal in Resource Peripheries
17. Resource Development in the Periphery: Lessons from Newfoundland
18. Fly-in, Fly-out Resource Development: A New Regionalist Perspective on the Next Rural Economy
19. Understanding and Transforming a Staples Economy: The Case of Place-based Development in Northern BC, Canada
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
I will not hesitate to use you again or recommend you to others.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985