+44 1803 865913
Series: Springer Lecture Notes in Physics Series Volume: 914
By: Jean-Pierre Rozelot(Editor), Coralie Neiner(Editor)
206 pages, 48 colour & 30 b/w illustrations, 20 colour tables
The mapping of the surface of stars requires diverse skills, analysis techniques and advanced modeling, i.e. the collaboration of scientists in various specialties. The Surface Cartography of the Sun and the Stars gives insights into new techniques allowing for the first time to obtain resolved images of stars. It takes stock of what has been achieved so far in Chile, on the ESO VLTI instrument or, in the States, on the CHARA instrument.
In recent times interferometry, combined with adaptive optics has allowed to reconstruct images of stars. Besides the Sun (of course) by now five stars have been resolved in detail. In addition to interferometry, this book highlights techniques used for mapping the surfaces of stars using photometry made by space observatories; Zeeman- and Doppler Imaging; mapping the surface element abundances via spectroscopy. The Surface Cartography of the Sun and the Stars will also take stock of the best images of the solar surface, made by connecting the differential rotation to the underlying physical parameters derived from helioseismology. Recent measurements of flattening of the solar surface by SDO showed that the Sun's shape is linked to the rotation of the core. It is shown how such a result is generalizable to the stars.
- Claude Aime and Celine Theys: Reconstructing images in astrophysics
- Alexander Kosovichev: Reconstruction of solar subsurfaces through helioseismology with SDO
- Lanza: Imaging surface spots from space photometry
- Hiermath: Reconstruction of Thermal and Magnetic FieldStructure of the Solar Subsurface through Helioseismology
- Michel Rieutord: Physical processes leading to surface
- Pierre Kervella: Interferometry to determine stellar shapes
- Guy Perrin: Interferometry to image surface spots
- Domiciano: Interferometric Surface Mapping of RapidlyRotating Stars. Application to the Be star Acherna r
- Oleg Kochukhov: Doppler and Zeeman Doppler Imaging of stars
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS is my favorite supplier (very professional and fast). Bravo!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985