+44 1803 865913
This volume synthesizes the relevant data that is fundamental to our understanding of trace metal biogeochemistry and the ecology of biological communities of deep-sea vent systems. It presents the combined results of biological and geochemical research and analyzes the microdistribution of animals and the spatial structure of vent communities. Careful consideration is given to the export of iron and other trace metals from hydrothermal vents. The environmental conditions to be found in deep-sea hydrothermal community habitats, along with the trace metal behavior in biotope water are characterized and the sources and forms of trace metals taken up by dominant hydrothermal vent animals are discussed. Special attention is paid to the poorly investigated deep biosphere of the sub-seafloor igneous crust. Trace Metal Biogeochemistry and Ecology of Deep-Sea Hydrothermal Vent Systems is illustrated with a wealth of exceptional deep-sea photos taken by the manned submersible "Mir", and a dedicated chapter focuses on the role of deep manned submersibles in ocean research. The book will be of interest to researchers and students in the fields of oceanography, geochemistry, biology, the environmental sciences and marine ecology.
- The export of iron and other trace metals from hydrothermal vents and the impact on their marine biogeochemical cycle
- Geologic- geochemical and ecological characteristics of selected hydrothermal vent areas
- Trace metals in water of deep-sea hydrothermal biotopes
- Structure of hydrothermal vent communities
- Sources and forms of trace metals taken up by hydrothermal vent mussels, possible adaptation and mediation strategies
- Factors controlling the trace metal distribution in hydrothermal vent organisms
- The deep biosphere of the subseafloor igneous crust
- Manned submersibles Mir and the worldwide research of hydrothermal vents
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS never fails to deliver
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985