Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
From coral reefs to stargazing and everything in between, Wind, Wings, and Waves is your personal guide to nature in Hawai‘i. With colour illustrations throughout, this engaging book introduces you to the islands' natural world and helps to identify common plants, birds, and fish. More than a hundred self-guided field trips on six islands will inspire you to get outdoors and explore nature on your own.
In Wind, Wings, and Waves, you'll find a knowledgeable and good-humoured friend telling fascinating insider facts on this magical place:
- How, when, and where you can listen to whales singing.
- Where to see unique Hawaiian plants and birds.
- Why coral reefs are teeming with weird, wonderful life forms, and the best reefs to visit.
- Why Hawai‘i is the best place in the world for stargazing.
- How Hawai‘i became a melting pot of cultures and cuisines, including a mini-guide to the unique foods of the islands.
- How volcanoes make new Hawaiian islands, and the forces that make these islands travel and eventually disappear.
- How plants and animals made their way to the most isolated place on the planet, and what makes Hawai‘i a natural laboratory for evolution.
- The amazing story of Polynesian voyagers who navigated to Hawai‘i by the stars.
By sharing his love for the natural wonders of Hawai‘i, biologist Rick Soehren helps you make the most of your time in the islands, whether you are here for the vacation of a lifetime or lucky enough to live in Hawai‘i.
Rick Soehren is a consulting zoologist with extensive experience in natural resource conservation, environmental restoration, and interpretation of natural sciences for the general public and for technical audiences. He has worked in Hawai`i and California. Rick is the author of The Birdwatcher's Guide to Hawai`i.