+44 1803 865913
By: Neelam Kumar
This Reader provides a comprehensive survey of literature on women in science in India. It brings together the writings of prominent Indian academics and researchers as they discuss gender and science and explore the relevance of gender theories in the context of Indian culture, society, and politics.
The inevitable association with western feminism, the status of women in research and occupation in the field of science, and the challenges faced by Indian women in line with global and universal problems are investigated in detail in the essays. The volume broadens our understanding of why, despite the existence of legal and constitutional equalities, women are subject to discrimination in science.
Section I Historical Context
1. Geraldine Forbes No Science for Lady Doctors in nineteenth century Bengal
2. Antoinette Burton Contesting the Zenana: the Mission to Make Lady Doctors for India, 1874-85
3. Maneesha Lal The Politics of Gender and Medicine in Colonial India: The Countess of Dufferins Fund, 18851888
4. Abha Sur Dispersed Radiance: Women Scientists in C.V.Ramans Laboratory
Section II Contemporary Experiences
5. Carol C. Mukhopadhyay How Exportable are Western Theories of Gendered Science? A Cautionary Word
6. Lalita Subrahmanyan Women in Science in India: Has Feminism passed Them By?
7. Veena Poonacha Uncovering the Gender Politics of Science Policies, Education and Institutional Practices
8. Namrata Gupta and A.K. Sharma Triple Burden on Women Academic Scientists
9. Alpana Sagar Women in Medicine: A Glass Ceiling or a Glass Cage?
10. Malathy Duraisamy and P Duraisamy Women in Scientific and Technical Education and Labour Markets
11. Neelam Kumar Gendered Equation in Science: An Organizational Aberration?
Notes on the contributors
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS has enriched my life with knowledge for many years now
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985