Series: cSUR-UT Series: Library for Sustainable Urban Regeneration Volume: 2
350 pages, 7 colour & 124 b/w illustrations
In 2007, the world's urban population surpassed the number of people living in rural areas and is still growing. The number of city dwellers who do not have access to piped water and rely on groundwater is also increasing. In many Asian cities, groundwater is not only the source of domestic water but also an important resource for industrial development, making better management of groundwater resources essential for sustainable development.
Because groundwater is easier to access and costs less than water from piped systems, groundwater abstraction cannot be easily regulated. Policies for groundwater management adopted in Japan and other Asian countries are compared, and technologies for efficient use of groundwater are elucidated. Groundwater contamination is also a serious problem that exacerbates water scarcity in Asian cities.
Case studies illustrate the cause and consequences of naturally occurring contaminants such as arsenic and fluoride, and groundwater contamination due to anthropogenic contaminants is described. Also discussed are technologies for treating contaminated groundwater to reduce the health risks of drinking contaminated groundwater.
List of Authors
Part I. Groundwater Problems in Urban Areas
1. Introduction Satoshi Takizawa
2. Groundwater Use and Management in Urban Areas Satoshi Takizawa
3. Groundwater Resources in Urban Water Management Yanjun Shen and Taikan Oki
4. Groundwater Potential in the Central District of Tokyo Tomochika Tokunaga
Part II. Technologies for the Analysis of Urban Groundwater
5. The Shallow Groundwater Environment and the Risk of Soil Liquefaction Takeshi Hayashi
6. Coupled Groundwater Flow/ Deformation Modelling for Predicting Land Subsidence Masaatsu Aichi
7. Groundwater Contamination in Urban Areas Keisuke Kuroda and Tetsuo Fukushi
8. Detection of Microbial Contamination in Groundwater Hiroyuki Katayama
Part III. Efficient Use of Groundwater Resources
9. Environmental Systems Analysis of Urban Water Systems Satoshi Ishii
10. Groundwater Use for Thermal Energy Ryozo Ooka and Yujin Nam
11. Bioremediation of Groundwater and Soil in Urban Areas Futoshi Kurisu
Part IV. Groundwater Management in Asian Cities
12. Groundwater Management Policies in Asian Mega-Cities Yatsuka Kataoka and Tetsuo Kuyama
13. Groundwater Contamination in Asian Coastal Cities: Case Study of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam Micha Sigrist
14. Arsenic Contamination in Hanoi City, Vietnam Tran Thi Viet Nga
15. Health Risks of Fluoride in the Chiang Mai Basin, Thailand Tomoko Takeda and Satoshi Takizawa
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!