+44 1803 865913
By: WA Deer(Author), RA Howie(Author), J Zussman(Author)
510 pages, b/w photos, colour & b/w illustrations, tables
In this edition, most of the commonly occurring minerals of igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks are discussed in terms of structure, chemistry, optical and other physical properties, distinguishing features and paragenesis. Important correlations between these aspects of mineralogy are emphasized wherever possible. The content of each section has been updated where needed in the light of published research over the 21 years between editions. Tables of over 200 chemical analyses and formulae are included and a number of older entries have been replaced by more recent examples.
Major new features:
- Entirely new views of crystal structures in perspective using CrystalMaker colour images
- CrystalViewer interactive CD with >100 mineral structures included
- Over 60 colour photographs of minerals in thin sections of rocks under the petrological microscope
- Considerably expanded treatment of feldspar and zeolite minerals
- Mineral identification table based on birefringence and listing other properties
- Colour strip with appropriate interference colours and birefringences for the main rock-forming minerals
Introduction to the Rock-forming Minerals will be useful to undergraduate students of mineralogy, petrology and geochemistry, especially those at third or fourth year, engaged in more advanced courses or specialized projects, and also as a reference work for students for 'Masters' degrees by taught courses or research. For doctorate students, and research workers in the Earth Sciences as well as those in Materials Science and other related disciplines, Introduction to the Rock-forming Minerals can be useful as a condensed version of the very extensive treatment presented in the volumes of the DHZ Series Rock-Forming Minerals, second edition.
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
I will not hesitate to use you again or recommend you to others.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985