+44 1803 865913
By: Tobias Fischer(Author), Lara Cory(Author), Kate Carr(Contributor), Slavek Kwi(Contributor), Gaëlle Kreens(Editor)
179 pages, b/w photos, includes audio CD
A growing number of researchers and academics are exploring the idea that animals enjoy music on a similar level to human beings. The first anthology on the subject, presents an overview of the current state of the debate. Its authors have spoken to the leading scientists, researchers and musicians in the field to uncover hidden meanings and new perspectives. They visit the biggest library for animal sounds in the world, hack into the mysterious sound world of shrimps, travel back in time to the point where human and animal music diverge and decode the latest findings. Includes a unique CD compilation of animal music.
PRESENT IN THE WORLD - INTRODUCTION
3. A quest for wonder, a quest for knowledge
6. Music of the plants, music of the animals
13. Imitation and Inspiration: Olivier Messiaen
24. Zoomusicology: when sound becomes song
29. The secrets of the deep
33. EXCURSION: RECORDING TECHNOLOGY - EXPERT INSIGHTS ON RECORDING EQUIPMENT
EXPLORERS WITH MICROPHONES - THE PEOPLE AND INSTITUTIONS WHO HAVE DEDICATED THEIR LIVES TO ANIMAL SOUNDS
45. Places of research
51. Father Frog: Yannick Dauby
57. In love with the ocean: Heike Vester
60. Hacking into the shrimp network: Jana Winderen
THE MECHANICS OF MUSIC - HOW DO ANIMALS PRODUCE SOUNDS AND HOW DO THEY SING?
69. On the verge of delirium: Bird song
78. The cat's meow: cats part I
82. The power of the purr: cats part II
84. Click. Click. Tick: Bats
LEARNING TO LISTEN - HOW DO ANIMALS HEAR & HOW SHOULD WE LISTEN TO THEM?
91. Specialised touch: How do animals hear?
94. Listening to animals: An interview with Chris Watson
102. Rumble in the jungle
HOWLING BACK - WHY DO ANIMALS SING?
109. Language as a basis for music: If we could talk with animals
114. Why animals sing part I: beyond sexual selection
118. Why animals sing part II: social cohesion
123. Everything is wrong: Bernie Krause's concept of biophony
CHARMING THE CHIMP - SOME ARTISTS ARE ATTEMPTING TO ENTER INTO A DIALOGUE WITH ANIMALS
131. An ideal audience: The work of Marek Brandt & David Teie
THE GRASSHOPPER AT TWILIGHT - BUT ... IS IT MUSIC?
141. The grasshopper at twilight with SLAVEK KWI
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
We have always been very happy with NHBS service.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985