+44 1803 865913
Series: Artists' Pigments: A Handbook of their History and Characteristics Volume: 1
By: Robert L Feller(Editor), J Carter Brown(Preface By)
300 pages, colour & b/w photos, colour & b/w illustrations, tables
Each volume in this four-volume set concentrates on different pigments (see the contents for each volume). The series is an Encyclopedic Reference intended for:
- The practising artist to learn a pigment’s color, hiding power, lightfastness, toxicity, compatibility;
- The art historian to know how an artist worked, what pigments were used, whether they were pure or mixed, opaque or transparent, layered or not;
- The conservator to devise techniques necessary for the care and conservation of works of art, to determine what is original, to repair damages, to compensate for missing portions of a painted surface;
- The curator and the connoisseur to know the history of manufacture and use of pigments, to authenticate and assign probable dates to works of art;
- The conservation scientist to learn identification methods used, including optical microscopy, microchemical tests, X-ray diffraction, infrared and reflectance spectrophotometry, and electron microscopy.
This volume has been reprinted without modification in the form first published in 1986.
- Indian yellow: N.S. Baer, A. Joel, R.L. Feller, and N. Indictor
- Cobalt yellow (aureolin): Maura Cornman
- Barium sulfate - natural and synthetic: Robert L. Feller
- Cadmium yellows, oranges, and reds: Inge Fiedler and Michael Bayard
- Red lead and minium: Elisabeth West Fitzhugh
- Green earth: Carol A. Grissom
- Zinc white: Hermann Kühn
- Chrome yellow and other chromate pigments: Hermann Kühn and Mary Curran
- Lead antimonate yellow: Ian N.M. Wainwright, John M. Taylor, and Rosamond D. Harley
- Carmine: Helmut Schweppe and Heinz Roosen-Runge
- Appendices: Robert L. Feller and Michael Bayard Ruth Johnston-Feller
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
I don't know how you got a book printed 26 years ago in the conditions that I received it (like new) but you do it! ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985