+44 1803 865913
The exceptional quality of previous editions has been built upon to make...
By: Peter Atkins(Author), Julio de Paula(Author)
1014 pages, illustrations, tables
This book remains the benchmark of achievement for a chemistry degree throughout the world. The judicious choice of topics, the clear writing style of both authors, and the careful exposition of maths, reaffirm the book's position as market leader. In the eighth edition the authors provide a more compact presentation through the careful restructuring and redistribution of material. The coverage of introductory topics has been streamlined, and later topics rationalized, bringing into sharper focus the scope of the text to mirror the needs of today's students and lecturers. Mathematics remains an intrinsic yet challenging part of physical chemistry; the new edition offers greater explanation and support, to ensure that students can master the important mathematical principles, without sacrificing the rigour and depth of its mathematical content.
The pedagogical framework, which is a hallmark of Atkins' writing, has been strengthened further: new 'Notes on good practice' provide guidance on the use of terminology and help students to avoid common pitfalls; short 'Commentaries' remind students of the applications of mathematical and physical concepts, and provide useful cross-references to related resources in the book and on the accompanying companion web site.
"Atkins is the gold standard of technical education"
- Stephen Fletcher, Loughborough, Physical Chemistry. .
PART 1. EQUILIBRIUM
1. The properties of gases
2. The first law
3. The second law
4. Physical transformations of pure substances
5. Simple mixtures
6. Phase diagrams
7. Chemical equilibrium
PART 2. STRUCTURE
8. Quantum theory: introduction and principles
9. Quantum theory: techniques and applications
10. Atomic structure and atomic spectra
11. Molecular orbitals for polyatomic systems
12. Molecular symmetry
13. Spectroscopy 1: rotational and vibrational spectra
14. Spectroscopy 2: electronic transitions
15. Spectroscopy 3: magnetic resonance
16. Statistical thermodynamics: the concepts
17. Statistical thermodynamics: the machinery
18. Molecular interactions
19. Materials 1: Macromolecules and aggregates
20. Materials 2: The solid state
PART 3. CHANGE
21. Molecules in motion
22. The rates of chemical reactions
23. The kinetics of complex reactions
24. Molecular reaction dynamics
25. Processes at solid surfaces
ANSWERS TO EXERCISES
ANSWERS TO PROBLEMS
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
Fantastic service at a great price – I'll definitely use you again.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985