The Batbox Duet is a dual-mode bat detector which uses both heterodyne and frequency division methods. This makes it an ideal choice for those who want to progress their bat detecting skills and who are looking to listen to bats in the field as well as record the sounds for later analysis.
The heterodyne function offers immediate identification of bats in the field. Just like tuning a radio, you use the dial on the side of the Duet to select the ultrasonic frequency range to listen to. The sound made by the bat is transformed into a sound audible to human ears and can be listened to through the speaker or using headphones (not included).
The frequency division function allows the entire ultrasonic range to be monitored, meaning that no bats will be missed due to the detector being tuned to the wrong frequency. When used with a stereo recorder, the heterodyne output will be recorded in the right channel and the frequency division in the left. This output can then be used with call analysis software, where you will be able to simultaneously listen to the call and view a sonogram of the sound at the same time. Batscan analysis software, also produced by Batbox, has been optimised for use with the Duet. (Please note that, if you are using a mono recorder, only the frequency division output will be recorded).
The Duet is powered by a single 9V alkaline battery (included). A soft carry case and wrist strap are also included.
To connect the Duet to a recorder you will also need a 3.5mm jack to jack cable. For suggestions of recommended recorders, please scroll to the bottom of the page to the accessories list.
* High sensitivity electret microphone
* Two channel recording output
* Single-handed operation
* Audio output via speaker/headphone
* Low battery indicator
* Wrist strap
* Soft carrying case included
* Type: Heterodyne and frequency division
* Quiescent Current: 22mA
* Amplifier: 350mW (max)
* Size: 12 x 6 x 2.5cm
* Weight: 150g
* Suitable Recording Formats: digital recorder, minidisc, compact cassette
* Power: 9V alkaline battery (included)
* Frequency Range: 17-125 kHz
* Bandwidth: >16 kHz
* Outputs: Headphone socket and line-out socket (right channel)
* Display: LCD
* Accuracy: 1 digit
Frequency Division Mode
* Division factor: 10
* Dynamic Input: Waveform tracking
* Type of Microphone: Electret condenser
* Outputs: Line-out to left channel only
* Frequency Range: 17kHz - 125kHz
* Reference Tone: 10.238kHz to left channel