448 pages, 400+ colour photos and colour illustrations
A new edition of a unique textbook that provides an exhaustive treatment of the world's different coasts – with focus on climate change sea-level rise
Coastlines of the world are as diverse and complex as any geological setting on Earth, and understanding them is extremely important. Beaches and Coasts, Second Edition is an exciting and unique textbook that covers the world's different coasts and details the highly varied processes that have shaped them. This new edition emphasizes the future susceptibility of coast to climate driven stresses and decreasing sediment supplies, and considers various aspects of coastal management that are and/or that need to be undertaken.
Seeking to better educate students and readers about the sustainability of coast and coastal environments, this exciting and unique book offers enlightening coverage of: the Earth's mobile crust; sediments of coastal environments; impacts of sea level change; weather systems and the effects of storms; the influence of wave energy and different tidal regimes; river deltas; coastal bays; estuaries and lagoons; tidal flats; coastal wetlands; beach and nearshore areas; coastal barriers; tidal inlets; glaciated coasts; and rocky coasts.
- Takes an extensive look at the world's varied coasts and covers the many processes that have shaped them over time
- Shows how coastal processes and landform evolution are expected to be impacted by climate change
- Includes new coverage of Hurricane Katrina and the 2005 flooding of New Orleans, Hurricane Sandy and its affect on New York and the earthquake and tsunami in the Indian Ocean and Tohoku
- Lavishly illustrated with over 400 color photographs and figures
- Draws on a wealth of author experience that broadens the content of chapters and provides for numerous and varied examples
Beaches and Coasts, Second Edition is an excellent text for undergraduate and graduate students of coastal geology, coastal processes and coastal environments.
Review of the first edition:
" [...] one of the most complete, clearly written and up-to-date publications on the topic [...] Beaches and Coasts is a book that deserves wide readership [...] Its didactic form and simple (though not superficial) language makes the book excellent for teaching [...] [it] will become a classical textbook in the subject."
– Journal of Sedimentary Research, June 2005
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Richard A. Davis, Jr., PhD, is Professor Emeritus at the University of South Florida, USA. Duncan M. Fitzgerald, PhD, is Professor in the Earth Science Department at Boston University, USA.