Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
With nearly 450 species of birds recorded, Maine offers an abundance of birding opportunities for people of all levels of interest and experience, from those looking beyond their backyards for the first time to knowledgeable visitors looking to plug a hole in their list of sightings. The state's wealth of undeveloped land and its extensive coastline, countless islands, and varied habitat combine to host an impressive diversity of birds at all times of year. Birders travel to Maine from near and far to seek hard-to-find species, from the only Atlantic Puffins breeding in the United States on offshore islands to Bicknell's Thrushes high in the mountains.
Birdwatching in Maine fills an important niche for the birdwatching community by offering comprehensive entries detailing the best locations for finding birds throughout the state for enthusiasts of all levels of skill and interest. It contains descriptions of 201 birding sites in Maine, with explicit directions on how to get there, for all sixteen of the state's counties (several as large as other New England states!). Each chapter features a county map, a brief overview by Derek J. Lovitch, numerous specific site guides, and a list of rarities. The book also contains a detailed and useful species accounts guide for finding the most sought-after birds.
Lavishly illustrated in colour throughout, Birdwatching in Maine is the best available resource for finding birds in the largest of the New England states.
- Introduction: Why Go Birding in Maine?
- Basics of Birding in Maine
- How to Use This Book
- American Birding Association Code of Birding Ethics
- York County—Derek Lovitch
- Cumberland County—Derek Lovitch
- Oxford County—Kirk Betts
- Androscoggin County—Dan Nickerson
- Sagadahoc County—John Berry
- Lincoln County—Allison Childs Wells and Jeffrey V. Wells
- Kennebec County—Herb Wilson
- Knox County—Kristen Lindquist
- Waldo County—Seth Benz
- Hancock County—Rich MacDonald
- Franklin County—Kirk Betts
- Somerset County—Ron Joseph
- Penobscot County—Luke Seitz
- Washington County—Herb Wilson
- Piscataquis County—Luke Seitz
- Aroostook County—Luke Seitz
- Species Accounts
- About the Editor and Contributors
Derek J. Lovitch’s lifelong passion for birding has inspired his careers as a biologist, author, tour guide, and business owner. Lovitch is the author of How to Be a Better Birder (2012). He has served as the Tools of the Trade department editor for Birding Magazine, and his writing has appeared in many other birding magazines. He and his wife, Jeannette, own and operate Freeport Wild Bird Supply, an independent bird-feeding and birding specialty shop that serves as a vehicle for promoting birding and bird conservation. Lovitch acts as a guide for clients throughout the state and also leads trips for Wings.