February marks the approach towards the busier spring season and is the perfect time to take stock and make sure you have everything you need for your upcoming surveys.
To avoid disrupting any survey work later on in the year, we recommend that now is the ideal time to inspect all technical equipment for any faults. This will allow you to organise any necessary repairs before the survey season begins.
Below is a list of the key upcoming surveys that are due to begin in the next few months, plus the essential equipment that is required:
- Badger bait surveying is best undertaken from late February to late April. Use a peanut and syrup mix with different colour badger bait marking pellets for each sett.
- Reptile felts or corrugated refugia should be put out a few weeks before surveys start to allow them to ‘bed down’. Refugia inspections tend to begin in March or April depending on the weather conditions.
- Newt surveys start in mid-March and continue through to June. We offer newt bottle-traps as either whole or pre-cut bottles, and bamboo canes that are used to hold the bottle-traps in place are available to purchase separately.
- Dormouse nest tubes should be in place by late March or early April if possible. Hook and loop strapping is ideal for securing tubes and provides a reusable alternative to cable ties.
- eDNA surveys for Great Crested Newts have a relatively short survey window between 15th April and 30th June. We recommend organising and booking your dates and kits in advance.
A note on licensing
Please note that the species mentioned above are protected by law in the UK. Any survey work on protected species must be undertaken by a licenced ecologist. Different levels of licence are required for different survey and mitigation methods. For more information, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wildlife-licences.
If you have any queries you can contact our Wildlife Equipment Specialist team on 01803 865913 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For futher details on our range of ecological survey equipment, please pre-order our 2022 equipment catalogues here. We anticipate these will be available in early March.