+44 1803 865913
Magnetic fields are important in the Universe and their effects contain the key to many astrophysical phenomena that are otherwise impossible to understand. This book presents an up-to-date overview of this fast-growing topic and its interconnections to plasma processes, astroparticle physics, high energy astrophysics, and cosmic evolution. The phenomenology and impact of magnetic fields are described in diverse astrophysical contexts within the Universe, from galaxies to the filaments and voids of the intergalactic medium, and out to the largest redshifts. The presentation of mathematical formulae is accessible and is designed to add insight into the broad range of topics discussed. Written for graduate students and researchers in astrophysics and related disciplines, this volume will inspire readers to devise new ways of thinking about magnetic fields in space on galaxy scales and beyond.
1. A brief history and background
2. Methods for probing magnetic fields in astrophysical systems
3. Mechanisms for magnetic field generation and regeneration
4. Nearby galactic objects as a microcosm of the effects of astrophysical magnetic fields
5. Magnetic field configurations in large galaxies
6. Magnetic field outflow into the IGM from stellar and supernova activity
7. Extragalactic scale jets and their magnetized lobes
8. Distribution of magnetic energy into the IGM
9. Magnetic fields associated with clusters and groups of galaxies
10. Magnetic fields beyond galaxy clusters
11. Intergalactic cosmic rays and magnetic fields
12. Magnetic fields at earlier cosmological epochs since recombination
13. Magnetic fields at and before the recombination epoch
14. Magnetic fields and some fundamental physics questions
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Philipp P. Kronberg is Research Professor Emeritus at the University of Toronto, Canada. He has served on or chaired advisory and management boards of many organizations and facilities, and has received numerous awards and distinctions, including a Humboldt Award and a Guggenheim Fellowship.
Your orders support book donation projects
I would not hesitate for one second to use your company again and recommend you to others. Marks out of 10? Around 99!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985