The bestselling textbook for undergraduate ecology courses, Ecology is an easy-to-read and well-organized text for instructors and students to explore the basics of the field. Bowman and Hacker motivate students with an engaging case study-driven, conceptual approach that highlights relevant applications and data-driven examples.
1. The Web of Life
Unit 1: Organisms and Their Environment
2. The Physical Environment
3. The Biosphere
4. Coping with Environmental Variation: Temperature and Water
5. Coping with Environmental Variation: Energy
Unit 2: Evolutionary Ecology
6. Evolution and Ecology
7. Life History
8. Behavioral Ecology
Unit 3: Populations
9. Population Distribution and Abundance
10. Population Dynamics
11. Population Growth and Regulation
Unit 4: Species Interactions
15. Mutualism and Commensalism
Unit 5: Communities
16. The Nature of Communities
17. Change in Communities
19. Species Diversity in Communities
Unit 6: Ecosystems
21. Energy Flow and Food Webs
22. Nutrient Supply and Cycling
Unit 7: Applied and Large-Scale Ecology
23. Conservation Biology
24. Landscape Ecology and Ecosystem Management
25. Global Ecology
Appendix: Some Metric Measurements Used in Ecology
William D. Bowman is Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and Director of the Mountain Research Station at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Sally D. Hacker is Professor of Integrative Biology at Oregon State University, Corvallis.
"Ecology is a well-structured and sufficiently detailed introductory exposure to the field of ecology, with excellent supporting materials to enable a quantitative understanding of the fundamentals of ecology."
– Brian Benscoter, Florida Atlantic University
"A great ecology text with all the major concepts introduced and clear examples needed to give undergraduates a solid background in ecology."
– Stephen Conrad, Indiana Wesleyan University
"Ecology is an easy-to-ready text that is engaging for students and has broad coverage of the topics that are central to ecology."
– Blaine Griffen, Brigham Young University
"Ecology presents material in a very effective way, while also bringing in lots of real world literature and captivating examples."
– Patrick Cain, George Gwinnett College