+44 1803 865913
By: Leonel Pereira(Author), Alan T Critchley(Foreword By)
453 pages, 35 colour photos and illustrations, 64 b/w illustrations
Seaweed is used in many countries for very different purposes – directly as food, especially in sushi, as a source of phycocolloids, extraction of compounds with antiviral, antibacterial or antitumor activity and as biofertilizers. About four million tons of seaweed are harvested annually worldwide. Of the various species known, less than 20 account for 90% of the biomass exploited commercially. Edible Seaweeds of the World details 147 species of edible seaweed, including scientific name and respective common names, geographic location, nutritional composition, uses and is extensively illustrated.
"This book is a worthy successor to Marine Algae: Biodiversity, Taxonomy, Environmental Assessment and Biotechnology [...] An excellent resource for the beginning phycologist up through experts in the field."
– S. T. Meiers, Western Illinois University, in CHOICE
- Introduction - Role of Algae in Nature, Main Taxonomic Groups of Marine Algae, Importance of Algae for Mankind (Historical Overview), Marine Algae and Health
- Seaweed and the Food Industry - Phycocolloids, Agar, Alginate, Carrageenan
- Nutritional Composition of Edible Seaweed - Carbohydrates, Lipids, Proteins, Vitamins, Minerals
- Edible Marine Algae Listed by Geographic Region - North Atlantic (Europe and North America) Chlorophyta, Ochrophyta (Phaeophyceae), Rhodophyta
- South Atlantic (Africa and South America) Chlorophyta, Ochrophyta, Rhodophyta
- Pacific West, Northwest and Southwest (Alaska, California, Mexico, Chile) Chlorophyta, Ochrophyta, Rhodophyta
- Pacific Islands (Micronesia, Polynesia, Melanesia) and Hawaii Chlorophyta, Ochrophyta, Rhodophyta
- East Asia (China, Japan, Korea) Chlorophyta, Ochrophyta, Rhodophyta
- Indo-Pacific (China, Indochina, Philippines, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand) Chlorophyta, Ochrophyta, Rhodophyta
Index of Species
Index of Common Names
Index of illustrations/photos
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
my first port of call for ordering books
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985