Volcanoes sometimes host a lake at the Earth's surface. These lakes are the surface expressions of a reservoir, often termed a hydrothermal system, in highly fractured, permeable and porous media where fluids circulate. They can become monitoring targets since they integrate the heat flux discharged by an underlying magma body and condense some volcanic gases. Since they trap volcanic heat and gases, they are excellent tools to provide additional information about the status of a volcano and volcanic lake-related hazards.
This Special Publication comes at an exciting time for the volcanic lake community. It brings together scientific papers, which include studies of their structure, hydrogeological modelling, long-term multi-disciplinary monitoring efforts, as well as a number of innovative methods of sampling, data acquisition and in situ and laboratory experiments. Several papers challenge long-established paradigms and introduce new concepts and terminologies. This collection of papers will be a useful reference for researchers dealing with volcanic lakes and more generally with hydrothermal systems, phreatic/hydrothermal eruptions and wet volcanoes.
- Caudron, C., Ohba, T. & Capaccioni, B. Geochemistry and geophysics of active volcanic lakes: an introduction
- van Hinsberg, V., Vigouroux, N., Palmer, S., Berlo, K., Mauri, G., Williams-Jones, A., Mckenzie, J., Williams-Jones, G. & Fischer, T. Element flux to the environment of the passively degassing crater lake-hosting Kawah Ijen volcano, Indonesia, and implications for estimates of the global volcanic flux
- Gunawan, H., Caudron, C., Pallister, J., Primulyana, S., Christenson, B., Mccausland, W., van Hinsberg, V., Lewicki, J., Rouwet, D., Kelly, P., Kern, C., Werner, C., Johnson, J. B., Utami, S. B., Syahbana, D. K., Saing, U., Suparjan, Purwanto, B. H., Sealing, C., Cruz, M. M., Maryanto, S., Bani, P., Laurin, A., Schmid, A., Bradley, K., Nandaka, I. G. M. A. & Hendrasto, M. New insights into Kawah Ijen’s volcanic system from the wet volcano workshop experiment
- Caudron, C., Mauri, G., Williams-Jones, G., Lecocq, T., Syahbana, D. K., De Plaen, R., Peiffer, L., Bernard, A. & Saracco, G. New insights into the Kawah Ijen hydrothermal system from geophysical data
- Rouwet, D., Mora-Amador, R., Ramírez-Umañ A, C. J., González, G. & Inguaggiato, S. Dynamic fluid recycling at Laguna Caliente (Poás, Costa Rica) before and during the 2006–ongoing phreatic eruption cycle (2005–10)
- Capaccioni, B., Rouwet, D. & Tassi, F. HCl degassing from extremely acidic crater lakes: preliminary results from experimental determinations and implications for geochemical monitoring
- Agusto, M. R., Caselli, A., Daga, R., Varekamp, J., Trinelli, A., Afonso, M. D. S., Velez, M. L., Euillades, P. & Guevara, S. R. The crater lake of Copahue volcano (Argentina): geochemical and thermal changes between 1995 and 2015
- Hernández, P. A., Melián, G. V., Somoza, L., Arpa, M. C., Pérez, N. M., Bariso, E., Sumino, H., Padrón, E., Varekamp, J. C., Albert-Beltran, J. & Solidum, R. The acid crater lake of Taal Volcano, Philippines: hydrogeochemical and hydroacoustic data related to the 2010–11 volcanic unrest
- Rouwet, D. & Iorio, M. The sedimentation of Suminagashi-like floating clay patterns at El Chichón crater lake (Chiapas, Mexico)
- Kozono, T., Kusakabe, M., Yoshida, Y., Ntchantcho, R., Ohba, T., Tanyileke, G. & Hell, J. V. Numerical assessment of the potential for future limnic eruptions at lakes Nyos and Monoun, Cameroon, based on regular monitoring data
- Ohba, T., Ooki, S., Oginuma, Y., Kusakabe, M., Yoshida, Y., Ueda, A., Anazawa, K., Saiki, K., Kaneko, K., Miyabuchi, Y., Issa, Aka, F., Fantong, W., Ako, A., Tanyileke, G. & Hell, J.V. Decreasing removal rate of the dissolved CO2 in Lake Nyos, Cameroon, after the installation of additional degassing pipes
- Saiki, K., Kaneko, K., Ohba, T., Sanemasa, M., Kusakabe, M., Ntchantcho, R., Fouepe, A., Tanyileke, G. & Hell, J. V. Vertical distribution of dissolved CO2 in lakes Nyos and Monoun (Cameroon) as estimated by sound speed in water
- Sanemasa, M., Saiki, K., Kaneko, K., Ohba, T., Kusakabe, M., Ntchantcho, R., Fouepe, A., Tanyileke, G. & Hell, J. V. A new method to determine dissolved CO2 concentration of lakes Nyos and Monoun using the sound speed and electrical conductivity of lake water
- Yoshida, Y., Kusakabe, M., Issa, Ohba, T., Tanyileke, G. & Hell, J. V. Decreasing capability of the degassing systems at lakes Nyos and Monoun (Cameroon): a new gas removal system applied to Lake Monoun to prevent a future limnic eruption
- Ozawa, A., Ueda, A., Fantong, W. Y., Anazawa, K., Yoshida, Y., Kusakabe, M., Ohba, T., Tanyileke, G. & Hell, J. V. Rate of siderite precipitation in Lake Nyos, Cameroon
- Zimmer, M., Tassi, F., Vaselli, O., Kujawa, C., Cabassi, J. & Erzinger, J. The gas membrane sensor (GMS) method: a new analytical approach for real-time gas concentration measurements in volcanic lakes
- Melián, G., Somoza, L., Padrón, E., Pérez, N. M., Hernández, P. A., Sumino, H., Forjaz, V. H. & França, Z. Surface CO2 emission and rising bubble plumes from degassing of crater lakes in São Miguel Island, Azores
- Lefkowitz, J. N., Varekamp, J. C., Reynolds, R. W. & Thomas, E. A tale of two lakes: the Newberry Volcano twin crater lakes, Oregon, USA
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!