Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
Biomass currently accounts for about 15 per cent of global primary energy consumption and is playing an increasingly important role in the face of climate change, energy and food security concerns.
Handbook of Bioenergy Crops is a unique reference and guide, with extensive coverage of more than 80 of the main bioenergy crop species. For each it gives a brief description, outlines the ecological requirements, methods of propagation, crop management, rotation and production, harvesting, handling and storage, processing and utilization, then finishes with selected references. This is accompanied by detailed guides to biomass accumulation, harvesting, transportation and storage, as well as conversion technologies for biofuels and an examination of the environmental impact and economic and social dimensions, including prospects for renewable energy. This is an indispensable resource for all those involved in biomass production, utilization and research.
Part I: Fuel and Feed the World
1. Global Energy Production, Consumption and Potentials of Biomass
2. Bioenergy Crops versus Food Crops
3. Transportation Biofuels
4. Primary Biomass Productivity, current yield potentials, Water and Land availability
5. Harvesting, Logistic and Delivery of Biomass
6. Technical Overview: Feedstocks, Types of Biofuels and Conversion Technologies
7. Environmental Impact
8. Economic and Social Dimensions
9. Integrated Bionergy Farms and Rural Settlements
Part II: Energy Crops Guide
10. Energy Crops Guide
11. Ethanol Crops
12. Oil Crops
13. Biogas from Crops
14. Hydrogen and Methanol Crops
15. Underutilized and unexploited Crops
Dr. N. El Bassam is the Director of International Research Centre for Renewable Energy (IFEED) in Germany.
"[The] most authoritative and rich source of information in biomass. It can be considered as a milestone and will be instrumental in promoting the utilization of biomass for human welfare in decades to come."
– Prof. Dr. Rishi Kumar Behl, University of Hisar, Haryana, India
"This book enlightens the vital economic and social roles of biomass to meet the growing demand for energy."
– Dr. Qingguo Xi, Agricultural Institute of Dongying, Shandong, China
"The author's decade-long expertise and dedication makes this publication unique. Global in scope, the standards of judgment and accuracy are high for a book that will become the biomass bible and reference for future generations."
– Prof. Preben Maegaard, Director, Nordic Folkecenter for Renewable Energy and Chairman, World Council for Renewable Energy (WCRE)
"an extremely useful reference for students, researchers and others wishing to gain a greater understanding of issues associated with bioenergy crops and to examine the details for individual crop species."
– Experimental Agriculture