+44 1803 865913
By: John Brockman(Editor)
Evolutionary science lies at the heart of a modern understanding of the natural world. Darwin's theory has withstood 150 years of scientific scrutiny, and today it not only explains the origin and design of living things, but highlights the importance of a scientific understanding in our culture and in our lives.
Recently the movement known as "Intelligent Design" has attracted the attention of journalists, educators, and legislators. The scientific community is puzzled and saddened by this trend-not only because it distorts modern biology, but also because it diverts people from the truly fascinating ideas emerging from the real science of evolution. Here, join fifteen of our preeminent thinkers whose clear, accessible, and passionate essays reveal the fact and power of Darwin's theory, and the beauty of the scientific quest to understand our world.
- John Brockman / Introduction
- Jerry A. Coyne / Intelligent Design: The Faith That Dare Not Speak Its Name
- Leonard Susskind / The Good Fight
- Daniel C. Dennett / The Hoax of Intelligent Design and How It Was Perpetuated
- Nicholas Humphrey / Consciousness: The Achilles Heel of Darwinism? Thank God, Not Quite
- Tim D. White / Human Evolution: The Evidence
- Neil H. Shubin / The Great Transformation
- Richard Dawkins / Intelligent Aliens
- Frank J. Sulloway / Why Darwin Rejected Intelligent Design
- Scott Atran / Unintelligent Design
- Steven Pinker / Evolution and Ethics
- Lee Smolin / Darwinism All the Way Down
- Stuart A. Kauffman / Intelligent Design, Science or Not?
- Seth Lloyd / How Smart Is the Universe?
- Lisa Randall / Designing Words
- Marc D. Hauser / Parental Guidance Required
- Scott D. Sampson / Evoliteracy
- Appendix / Excerpt from the Memorandum Opinion of The United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, December 20, 2005
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
John Brockman is a writer, agent, and publisher of Edge, the "Third Culture" website, the forum for leading scientists and thinkers to share their research with the general public. He is the author of By The Late John Brockman and The Third Culture and has edited several previous anthologies including The Next Fifty Years, Curious Minds, and My Einstein. He lives in New York City.
Your orders support book donation projects
They [the books] arrived in wonderful condition and it was a joy to see how well they were protected.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985