+44 1803 865913
Vents and seeps are the epitome of life in extreme environments, but there is much more to these systems than just black smokers or hydrocarbon seeps. Many other ecosystems are characterized by moving fluids and Life at Vents and Seeps provides an overview of the different habitats, their specific conditions as well as the technical challenges that have to be met when studying them. Life at Vents and Seeps provides the current state of the art and will be a valuable resource for everybody that has an interest in such environments.
Contributing authors xiii-xvi
1. Methane seeps in a changing climate - Krause, Stefan / Niemann, Helge / Treude, Tina 1-32
2. Hydrocarbon seep ecosystems - Joye, Samantha B. / Kleindienst, Sara 33-52
3. Mud volcanoes as dynamic sedimentary phenomena that host marine ecosystems - Menapace, Walter / Kopf, Achim / Zabel, Matthias / Beer, Dirk de 53-84
4. The shallow submarine hot vent system off Milos (Greece) – a natural laboratory for the study of hydrothermal geomicrobiology 85-106
5. Life in serpentinite hosted alkaline springs - Schrenk, Matthew O. 107-138
6. Ecosystems of cold seeps in the South China Sea - Niu, Mingyang / Liang, Qianyong / Feng, Dong / Wang, Fengping 139-160
7. Life at the hydrothermal vent field of the Southwest Indian Ridge - Ding, Jian / Zhang, Yu 161-178
8. Microbial nitrogen cycling processes at submarine hydrothermal vents - Wankel, Scott D. / Bourbonnais, Annie / Charoenpong, Chawalit 179-222
9. Assessing metabolic activity at methane seeps: a testing ground for slow growing environmental systems - Marlow, Jeffrey / Hatzenpichler, Roland 223-260
10. Multiplication is vexation: a genomic perspective on cell division and DNA replication in the large sulfur bacteria - MacGregor, Barbara J. / Flood, Beverly / Bailey, Jake / Kanke, Matthew 261-306
11. Life in multiextreme environments: cross-stress response in Thermococcales - Zhao, Weishu / Xiang, Xiao 307-330
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
Extremely pleased with the quality of the product, the ease of the ordering system and the speed at which the item was dispatched.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985