+44 1803 865913
This book is a new and provocative treatment dealing with and defining sustainable pathways for the restoration of the Mississippi Delta. Based on a consideration of natural functioning of the Mississippi delta, factors that led to its severe deterioration, and major global trajectories of the 21st century, the authors investigate possible future pathways for sustainable management of the delta. They consider current conditions as well as future trajectories of climate and energy and resource scarcity. Mississippi Delta Restoration concludes that without profound changes of how humans live in and manage the delta, sustainability of the delta will be profoundly compromised.
1. Introduction - Changing conditions in the Mississippi delta from 1700 to 2100 and Beyond: Avoiding Folly
2. A Brief History of Delta Formation and Deterioration
3. Levees and the Making of a Dysfunctional Floodplain
4. The Nutria in Louisiana: A Current and Historical Perspective
5. Optimum Use of Fresh Water to Restore Baldcypress - Water Tupelo Swamps and Freshwater Marshes and Protect Against Salt Water Intrusion: A Case Study of the Lake Pontchartrain Basin
6. Energy and Climate - Global Trends and Their Implications for Delta Restoration
7. The Costs and Sustainability of Ongoing Efforts to Restore and Protect Louisiana's Coast
8. Large Infrequently Operated River Diversions For Mississippi Delta Restoration
9. Raising Urban Land: Historical Perspectives on Adaptation
10. Raising Buildings: The Resilience of Elevated Structures
11. Raising New Orleans: The Marais Design Strategy
12. Eroding Communities and Diverting Populations: Historical Population Dynamics in Coastal Louisiana
13. Developing Legal Strategies for a Sustainable Coast
14. Summary and Conclusions
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
On behalf of Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi I would like to thank NHBS. The book will be very useful for my students.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985