Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
Ostracod crustaceans, common microfossils in marine and freshwater sedimentary records, supply evidence of past climatic conditions via indicator species, transfer function and mutual climatic range approaches as well as the trace element and stable isotope geochemistry of their shells. As methods of using ostracods as Quaternary palaeoclimate proxies have developed, so too has a critical awareness of their complexities, potential and limitations. Ostracods as Proxies for Quaternary Climate Change combines up-to-date reviews (covering previous work and summarising the state of the art) with presentations of new, cutting-edge science (data and interpretations as well as methodological developments) to form a major reference work that will constitute a durable bench-mark in the science of Ostracoda and Quaternary climate change.
Part 1. Introduction to Quaternary and living ostracods
1. General introduction to ostracods: morphology, distribution, fossil record, applications, by Rodriguez-Lazaro, J. & Ruiz-Muniz, F.
2. The ecology of Ostracoda across levels of biological organisation from individual to ecosystem: a review of recent developments, by Mesquita-Joanes, F., Smith, A.J. & Viehberg, F.
Part 2. Ostracods as palaeoclimate proxies: ecological and biogeographical approaches
3. Ostracod taxa as palaeoclimate indicators in the Quaternary, by Lord, A.R., Whittaker, J.E., Brouwers, E. & Boomer, I.
4. Transfer function approaches in palaeoclimatic reconstructions using Quaternary ostracods, by Viehberg, F.
5. Mutual climatic range methods for Quaternary ostracods, by Horne, D.J., Curry, B.B. & Mezquita, F.
6. The biogeography and hydrochemistry of freshwater ostracods in Canada and the United States, by Curry, B.B., Delorme, L.D., Smith, A.J., Palmer, D. F., & Stiff, B. J.
7. Distribution of freshwater ostracods in the Canadian North and implications for palaeoclimate reconstructions, by Bunbury, J.
Part 3. Ostracods as palaeoclimate proxies: geochemical approaches
8. Introduction to ostracod shell chemistry and its application to Quaternary palaeoclimate studies, by Holmes, J.A. & De Deckker, P.
9. Biological and environmental controls on ostracod shell trace-element chemistry, by Dettman, D. & Dwyer, G.
10. Biological and environmental controls on isotopes in ostracod shells, by Decrouy, L.
Part 4. Multi-proxy approaches to Quaternary palaeoclimate studies
11. The versatility of Quaternary ostracods as palaeoclimate proxies: comparative testing of geochemical and ecological/biogeographical approaches, by Smith. A.J., Holmes, J.A. & Palmer, D.
12. Ostracods records of climatic and human-influenced changes in the Late Quaternary of the Ponto-Caspian region (Aral, Caspian and Black seas), by Boomer, I.
13. Geochemical and palaeoecological analyses of Mid Pleistocene to Holocene ostracod assemblages from Valle di Castiglione (Italy): palaeoenvironmental and palaeoclimatic assessment, by Anadón, P., Gliozzi, E. & Mazzini, I.
14. An 800-year paleoenvironmental record from Biscayne Bay, Florida based on ostracode faunas and shell geochemistry, by Cronin, T.M., Wingard, G.L., Dwyer, G.S., Swart, P.K., Willard, D.A. & Albietz, J.
15. Quaternary ostracods from the Tibetan Plateau. by Mischke, S.
16. Holocene lake level changes of Lake Nam Co, Tibetan Plateau, deduced from ostracode assemblage and δ18O and δ13C signatures of their valves, by Wrozyna, C., Frenzel, P., Daut, G., Mäusbacher, R., Zhu, L. & Schwalb, A.
Part 5. Future development: potential and limitations of ostracods in Quaternary palaeoclimatology
17. Palaeogenetics for ostracods (Crustacea, Ostracoda), by Schön, I., Eggermont, H., Verheyen, E. & Martens, K.
18. Overview and future prospects for ostracod applications in Quaternary palaeoclimatology, by Horne, D.J., Holmes, J.A., Rodriguez-Lazaro, J. & Viehberg, F.