+44 1803 865913
A reprint of a classical work in the Cambridge Library Collection.
In the early nineteenth century, the gifted stratigrapher and amateur geologist William Phillips (1773–1828) gave several lectures to interested young people in Tottenham on the subject of geology. These lectures were later collected into a book, which Phillips expanded in later versions. This reached its peak in 1822 when the clergyman William Daniel Conybeare (1787–1857) collaborated with Phillips to produce this rigorous and improved assessment of the geological composition of England and Wales. Although no second volume was ever published, Outlines of the Geology of England and Wales had a tremendous impact on geologists throughout the United Kingdom and Europe, inspiring foreign scholars to produce equivalent volumes about their own countries. Conybeare's concern for the stratigraphy of fossils is especially remarkable for the time. William Fitton, later president of the Geological Society of London, praised Outlines of the Geology of England and Wales highly, remarking that 'no equal portion of the earth's surface has ever been more ably illustrated'.
I. Superior Order – Formations above the Chalk
2. General view of the upper marine formation
3. Fresh-water formations
4. The London clay
5. Plastic clay formation
II. Supermedial Order
1. The chalk formation
2. Beds between the chalk and oolite series
3. Oolitic series, including all the strata between the iron sand and red marle
4. Red marle, or new red sandstone
III. Medial or Carboniferous Order
1. General view of the formations comprised in this order
2. Coal district north of Trent, or Grand Penine Chain
3. Central coal district
4. Western coal districts
5. Trap rocks occurring in association with the coal-measures
6. Comparative view of the distribution of the great coal-formation in other countries
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
On behalf of Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi I would like to thank NHBS. The book will be very useful for my students.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985