This reference book provides information on plant cytogenetics for students, instructors, and researchers. Topics covered by international experts include classical cytogenetics of plant genomes; plant chromosome structure; functional, molecular cytology; and genome dynamics. In addition, chapters are included on several methods in plant cytogenetics, informatics, and even laboratory exercises for aspiring or practiced instructors. The book provides a unique combination of historical and modern subject matter, revealing the central role of plant cytogenetics in plant genetics and genomics as currently practiced. This breadth of coverage, together with the inclusion of methods and instruction, is intended to convey a deep and useful appreciation for plant cytogenetics. The authors hope it will inform and inspire students, researchers, and teachers to continue to employ plant cytogenetics to address fundamental questions about the cytology of plant chromosomes and genomes for years to come.
SECTION I Structure, Variation, and Mapping in Plant Cytogenetics
1. Plant Chromosomal Deletions, Insertions, and. Rearrangements
Donald L. Auger and William F. Sheridan
2. Genome Structure and Chromosome. Function
Khwaja G. Hossain and Shahryar F. Kianian
3. Plant B Chromosomes-what makes them different?
Andreas Houben and Mariana Carchilan
4. Cytogenetic Mapping in Plants
Debbie M. Figueroa, Ina E. Amarillo, and Hank W. Bass
5. DNA and Chromatin Fiber-based Plant Cytogenetics
Jason G. Walling and Jiming Jiang
SECTION II Function, Organization, and Dynamics in Plant Cytogenetics
6. Plant Centromeres
James A. Birchler, Zhi Gao, and Fangpu Han
7. Plant Telomeres
Jonathan C. Lamb, Eugene V. Shakirov, and Dorothy E. Shippen
8. Genetics and Cytology of Meiotic Chromosome Behavior in Plants
Shaun P. Murphy and Hank W. Bass
9. Chromosomal Distribution and Functional Interpretation of Epigenetic Histone Marks in Plants
J#rg Fuchs and Ingo Schubert
SECTION III Methods, Informatics, and Instruction in Plant Cytogenetics
10. Chromosome microdissection and utilization of microisolated DNA
11. Maize Antibody Procedures: Immunolocalization and Chromatin Immunoprecipitation (ChIP)
X. Li, C. N. Topp, and R. K. Dawe
12. Methods of Fluorescence in Situ Hybridization on Extended DNA Fibers (fiber-FISH) Jason G. Walling, Robert M. Stupar, and Jiming Jiang
13. Fluorescence in Situ Hybridization and in Situ PCR
James A. Birchler and Tatiana V. Danilova
14. Plant Cytogenetics in Genome Databases
Lisa C. Harper, Taner Z. Sen, and Carolyn J. Lawrence
15. Practical Laboratory Exercises for Plant Molecular Cytogenetics
Scott A. Jackson, Shahryar F. Kianian, Khwaja G. Hossain, and Jason G. Walling
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Hank W. Bass is a Professor in the Department of Biological Science at Florida State University.
James A. Birchler is a Professor in the Division of Biological Sciences at the University of Missouri.