+44 1803 865913
Water is a paramount factor in determining the distribution of species on a global basis. The responses and adaptations of a species to water stress are critical for its success in any environmental niche. The deserts of the Middle East provide an excellent example of the harsh conditions to which plants are subjected.
Plants in the Deserts of the Middle East elucidates the adaptations of these plants in order to sustain their life and reproduce to continue their survival. Topics covered include climate aridity and topographic influence on plant life in the deserts, the role of plants in the lives of the Bedouins, the concept of adaptation, its purposes and causes, adaptations that promote increased water uptake and reduction of water output, as well as those which help the plants to tolerate and/or resist the drought, escaping drought and adaptation to desiccation, and the mechanisms by which halophytes can tolerate and/or resist salinity.
"It is a very personal book, as the author himself has travelled many times in the area. Some emotions and personal impressions flow into the scientific descriptions. It is this particular personal style which makes the book attractive and pleasant to read. [...] I would recommend the book to poeple who are interested in exploring and understanding the ecology and ecophysiology of the plant world of the deserts of the Middle East."
- Plant Science
- Deserts of the Middle East
- Climatic Aridity in the Deserts of the Middle East
- Topography and Plant Life
- Plants in the Arabic Heritage
- Adaptations of Desert Plants
- Adaptations that Increase Water Absorption
- Adaptations that Reduce Water Loss
- Adaptational Traits that Resist and/or Tolerate Drought
- Adaptations that Engender Escape from Drought
- Adaptation to Desiccation
- Adaptations of Plants to Saline Conditions in Arid Regions
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS never fails to deliver
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985