Reproductive Biology and Phylogeny of Lizards and Tuatara is a remarkable compendium of chapters written by the world's leading experts from over four continents. The book begins with a chapter recounting historical discoveries in reproductive biology and a review of phylogenetics and up-to-date hypotheses concerning evolutionary relationships among lizards.
Following these chapters are detailed reviews with additional new data concerning chemical communication, sexual selection, reproductive cues, female reproductive anatomy, female reproductive cycles, oogenesis, parthenogenesis, male reproductive anatomy, male reproductive cycles, spermatogenesis, reproductive investment, viviparity and placentation, multiple paternity, and parental care.
Reproductive Biology and Phylogeny of Lizards and Tuatara culminates in two chapters on tuatara reproduction giving unique insight into evolutionary patterns in reproductive biology in squamates and tuatara. This is an essential resource for anyone studying reproduction in reptiles and/or vertebrates and offers a fascinating read for those interested in reproductive biology.
- Lizard reproduction: A history of discovery / Laurie Vitt
- The phylogeny of lizard families / John Wiens and Shea Lambert
- Pheromones and chemical communication in lizards / José Martin and Pilar López
- Sexual selection and sexual dimorphism / Robert Cox and Ariel Kahrl
- Cues for reproduction in squamate reptiles / James Van Dyke
- Female reproductive anatomy: cloaca, oviduct, and sperm storage / Dustin Siegel, Aurélien Miralles, Justin Rheubert, and David Sever
- Female reproductive cycles / Alex Flemming
- Oogenesis / Martha Patricia Ramírez-Pinilla, Gloria de Pérez, and Camilo Alvarado-Ramírez
- Discovery of parthenogenesis in lizards / William Neaves
- Male reproductive anatomy: the gonads, gonadoducts, sexual segment of the kidney, and cloaca / Justin Rheubert, David Sever, Dustin Siegel, and Stanley Trauth
- Male reproductive cycles / Fausto Mendez de La Cruz
- The architecture of the testis, spermatogenesis, and mature spermatozoa / Kevin Gribbins and Justin Rheubert
- Evolutionary ecology of reproductive investment in lizards / Tobias Uller and Geoffrey While
- Viviparity and placentation in lizards / James Stewart and Daniel Blackburn
- The complexity of understanding patterns of multiple paternity in lizards / Erik Wapstra and Mats Ollson
- The evolutionary ecology of parental care in lizards / Geoffrey While, Ben Halliwell, and Tobias Uller
- Reproductive anatomy and cycles of tuatara (Sphenodon punctatus), an intriguing non-squamate lepidosaur / Alison Cree
- The ultrastructure of spermatogenesis and spermatozoa of the tuatara Sphenodon punctatus (Sphenodontidae: Amniota) / Barrie Jamieson