+44 1803 865913
By: David Leslie(Editor)
Tourism is one of the world's biggest industries. Responsible tourism is concerned with the effects of tourism on people, ecology, and communities, and seeks to ameliorate these impacts by providing tourism which benefits host communities, improves working conditions, involves the local community, promotes cultural heritage, and benefits the environment. This book discusses responsible tourism as a whole, including the politics, policy and planning behind it, and major sub-topics such as poverty reduction, the environment, transport, governance, wildlife tours and heritage.
PART 1: Responsible Tourism and Responsibilities
1. The Responsible Tourism Debate
2. International Transport and Climate Change: Taking Responsibility Seriously
3. The Consumers of Tourism
PART 2: The Central Tenets of Tourism
4. Destination Communities and Responsible Tourism
5. Environmental Performance
6. The Politics of Tourism and Poverty Reduction
7. Governance and Responsible Tourism
PART 3: Responsible Tourism in Action?
8. Adventure Tours: Responsible Tourism in Practice?
9. Responsible Wildlife Tourism in Africa
10. Cultural Heritage: World Heritage Sites and Responsible Tourism in Argentina
11. Hospitality Enterprise: A Key Influence
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Leslie has retired from his long standing position as Reader in Tourism at Glasgow Caledonian University, where he was instrumental in the development of tourism studies following on from the development of the introduction of the tourism degree at Leeds Metropolitan University. The recurrent theme in his scholarly activity and research has been tourism and the environment, which is manifest in a diverse range of publications including academic journals, research and consultancy reports and also serving as a Specialist Witness on tourism at Public Enquiries, spanning over two decades. Since retiring from University life, he has continued to be active in the tourism field with research and writing, most notably his latest book on Responsible Tourism and spending a semester as Visiting Professor to the Collaborative Tourism Programme at Chengdu University.
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS never fails to deliver
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985