Please note: We regret that this item is out of stock until January 2023. For our full range of passive acoustic recorders, see this page. For further information, please email email@example.com or call on +44 1803 865913
A series of SM4 training videos are now available on YouTube. Please see below for details and links.
The Song Meter SM4 is a robust and weatherproof recorder which records on one or two channels in 16-bit WAV format. The two in-built microphones let you record sounds from 20Hz - 48kHz and two microphone ports allow you to connect a cabled mic or hydrophone. Powered by four D-cell batteries it will record for up to 650 hours. The SM4 has slots for two SD cards providing storage of up to 64GB using SDHC cards or 512GB with SDXC cards.
Scheduling functions allow you to set the recorder to monitor continuously or to use complex schedules based on specific times of day or relative to sunset and sunrise. You can also tell the SM4 on what day you would like it to begin recording, or whether to begin immediately. Your inputted schedule will then be repeated daily until you stop it or until it is limited by battery life or memory space.
A mounting bracket at the top and bottom of the unit provides a sturdy way to attach the recorder to a tree, post or other suitable surface. The front of the unit also fastens securely and can be padlocked to prevent tampering with the interface.
A separate GPS module can be purchased to use with the SM4 which will let you synchronise time and date settings as well as calculate accurate sunrise and sunset times.
The SM4 comes with a three year warranty.
* SM4 User Guide
* Recording technology: Two-channel, 16-bit WAV.
* Recording Bandwidth: 20Hz – 48kHz
* Built-in Microphones:
- Directional Characteristic: Omni-Directional
- Sensitivity: -28 dB +/- 3 dB at 1 kHz (0 dB=1 V/Pa)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 80 dB Typ. at 1kHz (1 Pa, A weighted network)
- Max Input Sound Level: 122 dB S.P.L. Typ.
* Power: Up to 650 hours
* External power: With optional SM3/SM4 power cable (not included)
* Storage: 2 SDXC/SDHC cards (Class 4 or greater)
* Enclosure material: Molded polycarbonate
* Width: 15cm
* Height without mounting bracket: 17cm
* Height with mounting bracket: 21.8cm
* Depth: 7.1cm
* Weight without batteries: 635g
* Weight with batteries: 1225g
* Operating temperature: -20°C to 50°C (-4°F to 50°F)
* Warranty: Three years