+44 1803 865913
By: Bill Wilkie(Author), Jack Thompson(Author)
344 pages, 250+ colour photos
On the 30 November 1983, a small group of local residents organised a protest to stop work on a road being built from Cape Tribulation to Bloomfield, in far north Queensland.
The road was set to go through the recently declared Cape Tribulation National Park, and some of the last remaining low land tropical rainforest in the country. The protest brought a stop to construction, the media arrived, the police were called in, and protesters were arrested. When supporters of the protest arrived from southern states, the confrontation escalated into a full-blown environmental protest: The Daintree Blockade
The blockade set off a clash of ideologies: greenies against developers, hippies against the local council, and anarchists against police. In time, the Daintree blockade would take its place as one of the big three early rainforest campaigns (along with Terania Creek and the Franklin) that helped shape the growing Australian environment movement.
Bill Wilkie takes readers into the heart of the Daintree, the oldest rainforest on the planet, revealing the courage, passion and dedication of those who fought to protect it. His latest book tells for the first time the story of one of Australia's most iconic environment protests. The Daintree Blockade: The Battle for Australia's Tropical Rainforests tells for the first time the story of one of Australia's most iconic environment protests.
Highlights of the book include:
- A Foreword by Australian actor Jack Thompson;
- Stunning page layouts by Punchbowl Design;
- The 23 cm by 18 cm layout allows use of the over 250 photos to make The Daintree Blockade a visual journey, as well as a comprehensively researched and concisely written work of narrative nonfiction;
- The use of many previously untapped resources, including photos and diaries from private collections, and over 80 interviews;
- Personal accounts and anecdotes of those who were on the frontline.
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
Your prompt attention has beaten almost every other material supplier hands down.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985